 Technic / 9173
Re: Props for Hovercraft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 05:38:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Haye writes:
You inspired me to tinker a bit, but I am still unsuccessful.  Putting gears
around the
z24 to help stabilize it is problematic because, at standard LEGO distances,
there is
sufficient space between the gears to allow the z24 (and the prop axle) to
wobble.
I thought about coming up with a gear combination that might mesh snugly
enough to
eliminate the wobble, but I'm concerned that such an arrangement would have
as
much friction as I am trying to eliminate.  Also, the amount of structure
that needs to
be added to mount these supporting gears would be precisely where you don't
want
extra structure:  in the airstream.  Apologies for my "negativity," but I
don't consider
this part to be functional; it is merely ornamental.

What about attaching another 24t along the same axis with a friction pin,
then having an axle in that? You'd probably need to drive both to stop
rotation at the friction pin.

ROSCO