 Technic / 9195
Re: Props for Hovercraft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 16:03:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Haye writes:
Yes, I had tried that.  I was unable to prevent all the rotation at the friction pin,
and even a small amount of movement there caused significant wobble/binding.

Well I did a little test, heres the pics:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/prop/dcp_1409.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/prop/dcp_1410.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/etc/prop/dcp_1411.jpg

Note that the propeller shaft is cylindrical, not "x" axle-shape, so
friction is much greater than standard axle.

It worked reasonably well, even with no lubrication and old batteries. I
reckon with some lube, and maybe even a more powerful motor, it would work
really well.

Oh, and running the axle vertically runs better than horizontally, so even
better for hovercraft 8?)

ROSCO

Nice design.
Oh man, the design of the 24t gear at the back of this propeler is realy
lame.  That whole part is very un-legoish.

1) Perhaps you could use the old friction connector instead of the new one:
i.e. part 4459 instead of part 2780.
(see: http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/connect/conn_2.php)
It should grip the two gears together better.

2) If you're willing to cut (*gasp*) the annoying "bump" on one of your
Technic Crown Gear 24t I think it should "grip" the 24t gear on
all sides pretty well. I don't have the propeller piece, so let me know if
that works (that is, if you're willing to cut Lego, of course)

- David