 Technic / 9186
9185  |  9187
Subject:
Hoverfan (was: Re: Props for Hovercraft)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:52:10 GMT

Another good page:
http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Stu/tmelnico/

http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Stu/tmelnico/hoverc3.jpg
Inspired by the fan-photo on the above site I tried to construct a drumfan on
my lunch hour, this was my best attempt:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/4905354/Misc/Hoverfan/hoverfan1.png

As you can see it only has four blades but I could not make any more easily,
I'm thinking about solutions though...

I connected an old 9V motor underneath it and it holdes up just fine and blows
a fair deal around the edge, how much I cannot say.

Here's a Peeron URL-partlist:
4x http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2577
1x http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3943
4x http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2362
1x http://peeron.com/inv/parts/4032 (attached on the bottom)

Another working solution is using 2 x 2 tiles, the RPM's get higher but the
airflow lower:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/4905354/Misc/Hoverfan/hoverfan2.png

I also tried with 1 x 4 tiles but that was very ineffective...

I made another version with the panel idea but used 1 x 2 x 2 panels this time:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/4905354/Misc/Hoverfan/hoverfan3.png

The RPM's got higher since there was less resistance but the higher RPM's
proved not a good thing since the fan easily lost one turbine blade causing the
whole thing to shake violently until it litterarly exploded... It was blowing
less air and generally blowing, if you catch my drift.

I also tried with 1 x 4 x 3 panels (same as in hoverfan1.png but twice the
witdh (or heigth as I used them). The poor thing exploded before the fan
reached it's top speed... I tried with ordinary 2 x 4 plates aswell and it
works, just not very good.

The concept seems like a winner though, an axle can easily be attached from
above holding the whole thing, perhaps with round 2 x 2 bricks around the shaft
to make sure the axle is traight.

My first attempt was this though:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/4905354/Misc/Hoverfan/hoverfan4.png

But the blades turned around the friction pins causing major vibrations and
loss of effiency. I also tried attaching the 1 x 4 tiles half a stud outwards
(thanks to the hollow studs in the 2 x 2 plate with hole) but it did not
help much.

I've been bitten by the hoverbug, let's hope I find some spare time this
weekend...

/Tobbe