 Technic / 7622
RE: All Terrain Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:04:22 GMT

Darn it! I felt sure you were going to say there was a gyro or something
involved! I've been thinking that an RCX compatible gyro sensor is the
logical companion to the latest new sensor idea I've been working on - an
accelerometer. Now, if I could just get that 4x4 stud GPS brick working, we
could take over the planet with autonomous RCX controlled everythings :)

The PAT company also makes weigh-in-motion systems. The bending plate
uses a strain-gauge to measure the load. What's interesting about
this is that the approach path needs to be pretty level, so I designed
a simple accelerometer that fed into my datalogger platform.

You can get decent cheap accelerometers from DigiKey for about
30 bucks if I recall. These are good enough to do simple positioning
if your vehicle accelerates smoothly and does not rattle around too much..

Of course, you'll need a decent software integrator to get any useful
data out of the instrument...

Cheers, Ralph