 Robotics / 18224
Re: All Terrain Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:16:52 GMT

Excellent explanation, Jennifer (and amazing model too!!!).  I just want to
note to everyone that LEGO themselves modifies their own parts in their
theme parks.  In California, they use machined parts and motors from a
custom machine shop adjacent to the model shop.  These power their animated
models and also add strength to their large sculptures.

So, I see no problem with it :-)

By the way, my friend and I just watched all the videos of the crane in
action last night.  WOW!!  I'm totally amazed at this model... :-)

-Tim

In lugnet.robotics, Jennifer Clark writes:
"Steve Baker" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>

Whilst it's undoubtedly herasy to criticise one of Jennifer's gorgeous
models, and I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for saying it - but I can't help
feeling that an unfortunate line has been crossed - with painted parts,
modified parts and not-remotely-Lego things like the brass lead-screws
and third party lights, radio, etc.

Heresy schmeresy! Criticism is welcome!

I feel the painted parts are the Right Thing here, only one type of brick is
involved (1x7 liftarm) and the model had been built with the assumption that
a white version of this part would be available from Bricklink or a lego set
when the model was complete. I often build in the wrong colours with the
idea that I'll buy all the parts in the right colour in as few Bricklink
orders as possible when the model is finished; saves loads of postage
overhead etc. However, when the model was complete I discovered that lego do
not make this part in white. A bit unfortunate as the cyan ones I was using
looked gruesome. Anyway, there was no way I was going to spend all that time
working on the appearance of the model to have it ruined by having one part
of the wrong colour, so paint it was.

Certainly a line has been crossed with the other modifications, and the
validity of them is definitely in the eye of the beholder. My own take is
that the parts are not insane modifications, and are well within the reach
of most lego people, and some of them are things that I've been wanting for
a long time. The idea is really to take a "what if?" approach and see what
can be done with custom enhancements to the standard system; John Barnes
makes some great stuff and the way it is put together is lego compatible
with all the standard interfacing units, so in that sense I don't think it
is far from what lego might conceivably make. I take the view that since
this stuff is available, it is the greater sin to not use it; I am a
tinkerer and if something more can be gained from a system by tweaking it,
then IMHO this can only be good.

I think the leadscrews qualify for the lego system in that they are as
compatible and reusable as pneumatic cylinders w.r.t other bricks;
presumably there was a time when lego pneumatics were in a developmental
stage and similar purism issues would arise. To my mind the only difference
here is that it is someone other than lego who are making the new parts :-)

Jennifer