 Star Wars / 583
Re: Blasters for SW minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 07:40:30 GMT

Eric Brok writes:

I think the 'camera piece' held backwards by the Hoth ground personel is
supposed to be a blaster. (It would even be a fairly good approximation if
it weren't too big.)

I have to admit, I was introduced to this piece as a gun for Space minifigs.
Wasn't that it's original intent?  It can be made to do a good comera
impression, but it looks like a gun to me.  Especially in the hands of that
Hoth Trooper, who were all carrying big black rifles in Empire.

It can be interpreted in other ways too, which is
probably TLG's way out out of the difficult dillemma of combining the Star
Wars universe with the no-modern-handguns policy.

Two things:

1) How exactly do they reconcile the revolvers in the Wild West sets with this
policy?  I mean, they aren't much different than modern revolvers.  I even have
trouble swallowing that with the black powder guns in Pirates.

2) When Lucas went to Kenner as Star Wars was beginning to open, they showed
him the prototype figures and other toys they were working on.  There wasn't a
gun among them.  Lucas looked at them and asked, "Where are the guns?"  They
went on to explain that with the memory of the Vietnam conflict so fresh in
people's minds, toy guns and toys WITH guns weren't selling well.  Lucas paused
for a moment and asked "But... where are the guns?"  and they put in guns.

Now, if Lucas managed to get Kenner to put in guns when he was still "the guy
who made _American Grafitti_", do you think he wouldn't have lego include guns?

I think maybe they do figure that the pilots have their hands full with their
vehicles, and they wanted to put off making a new element for blasters for a
while.  At least, I hope so.

The Ligh Sabers are
another welcome way out of that, which may explain their large number in the
sets.

I love their Lightsaber solution.  I wonder if the Master Builders over at Lego
spent as long trying to make an antenna and a 1x1 round look like a lightsaber
as I have in my lifetime... it doesn't work really well.  At least, not in a
way that a minifig can hold it.

eric