 Star Wars / 5110
Re: Why not wait
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:19:22 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeff Thompson writes:
Lucas decided that he didn't like that Han fired first, because
that makes Han an evil meanie.

Which is a ridiculous, after-the-fact moralizing, and a complete
change of intention in the scene that is very odd.  It wouldn't be
so bad if the redone scene looked GOOD, but it's so clearly an
outtake, and the "Greedo shooting first" looks so fake, that it
just really stinks, compared to the power of the original presentation.

  I agree completely!  To reiterate an earlier point, the greater problem is
that Han's evolution as a character is watered-down, so that he's no longer a
self-serving rogue finding redemption through a cause--he's an okay guy who
remains an okay guy throughout the story and ultimately winds up an okay guy.
This type of character flattening is the very worst of juvenile, amateurish
fiction writing, and (while I'm on my soapbox) is one of the biggest problems
facing the perception of SciFi overall.

  On another Star Wars note: when Luke and Leia are on the shot-out
lightbridge platform, and Leia blasts the stormtroopers on the opposite side,
her blaster seems to make a noise just like a gunpowder firearm a la Dirty
Harry.  Am I alone in this perception?  Was it like this in the original
edition?

     Dave!