 Star Wars / 5109
Re: Why not wait
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:41:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Ahui Herrera writes:
Okay i'm lost now.  I remeber (let me look at my original ANH tape) that han
shoots first at greedo in the bar.  What on earth is everybody talking about
greddo shooting first?  Those this happen in the special edition version that
came out about 1.5 years ago?

Please someone help?

Yes, in the Special Edition version, George Lucas screwed this scene
up badly.

Lucas replaced the scene of Han blasting Greedo with a badly
shot, bad looking scene where Greedo shoots first.

You can tell that the actor playing Greedo didn't actually shoot first.  You
don't see him making any shooting gesture.  Lucas just had his
team draw a laser coming out of his pistol as IF he had shot first,
missing Han (at point blank range ... yeah, right).  It looks
about as good as some of the 8mm movies I made with my star wars
figures in my youth.

Lucas decided that he didn't like that Han fired first, because
that makes Han an evil meanie.

Which is a ridiculous, after-the-fact moralizing, and a complete
change of intention in the scene that is very odd.  It wouldn't be
so bad if the redone scene looked GOOD, but it's so clearly an
outtake, and the "Greedo shooting first" looks so fake, that it
just really stinks, compared to the power of the original presentation.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily