 Star Wars / 16382
Re: Selling my MOC Gunstar (maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:41:37 GMT

There has been a lot of talk about the legality and morality of selling your
inspired MOCs, but I' going to stray from that for a second and toss my opinion
into the ix.

Okay, here it goes.  They way I see it building with lego is a skill that needs
to be developed, refined, and practiced.  Judging from my own experience I have
come up with a theory on the 'evolution' of a builder.
Now, when I was young and was getting my first system sets, most of my building
was concentrated on actually building the sets.  I built them so many times over
that the instructions turned to shreds and I built from memory.  In fact, to
this day I can still build almost every set I got for about a 5 year period from
memory.
Naturally, I tried building other stuff on my own, but these were poor attempts
at best.  The seed had been sowed however.
My next step was to try and copy what others had built.  I remember, I built
many different variations of the Galaxy Commander and Blacktron Renegade, simply
because I was too young to be able to accumulate enough cash to buy them.  This
was an important step in my growth as a builder.  First, it gave me versatility.
I learned how to accomplish what TLC had done with parts that I had in my
collection.  Second, it forced me to solve problems of design and construction
on the inside and parts of the models I could not see.  Lastly, as I was
'copying' these sets and models from the Lego Club, I would inevitably find room
to add my own improvements and features; in essence creating my very own model.
Since then, I have grown even more, and now have started to stray from the
'copying phase.' However, since my discovery on Lugnet over three years ago, I
have found a reversion to copying.  I don't attempt to copy peoples' MOCs, but I
definitely have discovered new methods and styles of building.  For example, I
have found that there is a distinct .space 'style' of construction that differs
greatly from the system style.  In response, I find myself building in a
bastardized mix between the two.

So, on to my point.  Ryan, do not sell your lego because of your skill levels.
If you truly desire to sell them for an emergency fund or to rid your life of
indulgences (a very noble, yet daunting achievement) then by all means, good
luck to you.  But, I have looked at your some of your MOCs and have compared
them to their inspirations.  I think that you are deep in my evolutionary chain
theory and that you are slowly and steadily forging your own style by
experimentation with ideas of people with more skill.  If you sell your Lego
now, you will be selling yourself short.

Lastly, I think there is another point to be made.  Mark, Jon, Eric, and you
other .spacers may not realize that you are highly looked up too by the
'younger' lugnet members.  Your building inspires many of use to go on and
create great things.  By having your MOCs inspire others it is not only a
compliment to you on your building, but it also means that community is growing
and expanding.

Much of this probably came out wrong, but I thought I'd throw this out.  Feel
free to start the flamin!

Steve