 Space / 29027
Re: Selling my MOC Gunstar (maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 04:23:09 GMT

In lugnet.space, Scott Lyttle wrote:
In lugnet.space, Chris Phillips wrote:
In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:
In lugnet.space, Chris Phillips wrote:

Secondly, if you don't want people to copy (and possibly improve upon)
"your" designs, don't post pictures.  Keep them locked away in your toybox
where they will feel at home in the inky blackness.

I'm only replying to this portion of the post because this contains my whole
point.

I have no problem whatsoever with him copying or rebuilding one of my designs
for his OWN enjoyment. I have seen his Gunstar on brickshelf before and was
flattered that he liked my design enough to make his own. That's all well and
good.

What I don't appreciate is someone copying my specific design and SELLING it
for their own profit.

I think the truth is that Ryan will discover the same thing that many others
have.  It is very difficult to re-sell anything made out of LEGO for a profit.
I could see your beef if he took one of your designs verbatim, LDRAW-ed up an
instruction booklet and then started selling kits at a huge markup without your
permission.  But I don't think that's what he's doing here.

- Chris.

(Donning my flame-retardant space suit now, I hear the Storm Troopers coming
down the hallway...)

Chris, keep the fire suit on, then do a search on "Bram Lambrecht" where someone
copied one of his car designs...then tried to profit on it...

Likewise, If you're selling your Lego collection, makes me wonder how die-hard a
Lego fan you are...

I don't think that somebody's level of "die-hardness" (?) has any bearing on
this discussion.  But the Bram Lambrecht incident certainly does.  Grab yourself
a cold beverage, get comfortable, and read this nice piece of armchair
lawyering:

   http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=9667&t=i&v=a

Although I had forgotten about that incident, I think it is interesting to read
that whole thread partly for the similarities to how this thread has unfolded.
It also shows that all of this ground has been extensively debated here in the
past and will save us all a lot of typing and name-calling now.

Ryan, I agree with others that you're not likely to recoup much of your original
investment by trying to re-sell your LEGO collection, and you WILL miss it
someday.  As you seem to already have concluded for yourself, I doubt it's worth
the bad kharma whether it is legal or not.

Mark, I agree that you have a small gripe here, but I think you have blown it
out of proportion to the actual harm that has been done to you.  I also think
you are just as guilty of misappropriating the intellectual property of others
as you claim Ryan to be.

Chris, (oh, that's me!) I think that you are overly blunt and sometimes stir up
trouble by being so self-righteous.  I doubt it is worth the bad kharma whether
you are right or not.  You should follow Mark's wise example and shut up now.

- Chris.

FUT lugnet.flame.war