 Space / 28987
Re: Selling my MOC Gunstar (maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:19:15 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:
In lugnet.space, Chris Phillips wrote:

Secondly, if you don't want people to copy (and possibly improve upon)
"your" designs, don't post pictures.  Keep them locked away in your toybox
where they will feel at home in the inky blackness.

I'm only replying to this portion of the post because this contains my whole
point.

I have no problem whatsoever with him copying or rebuilding one of my designs
for his OWN enjoyment. I have seen his Gunstar on brickshelf before and was
flattered that he liked my design enough to make his own. That's all well and
good.

What I don't appreciate is someone copying my specific design and SELLING it
for their own profit.

I think the truth is that Ryan will discover the same thing that many others
have.  It is very difficult to re-sell anything made out of LEGO for a profit.
I could see your beef if he took one of your designs verbatim, LDRAW-ed up an
instruction booklet and then started selling kits at a huge markup without your
permission.  But I don't think that's what he's doing here.

- Chris.

(Donning my flame-retardant space suit now, I hear the Storm Troopers coming
down the hallway...)