 Space / 29011
Re: Selling my MOC Gunstar (maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:19:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Mizner wrote:

   On the contrary, he is indeed respecting Mark by making it very clear that Mark Sandlin was the original designer of the model, and by stating that multiple times. Furthermore, the Gunstar IS his model to sell, because he owns the parts and the time put into building it. Let’s consider the following scenario: Bob looks at an old catalogue, and sees Lego’s X-Wing fighter model. It’s no longer for sale, so he decides to make his own version of it. Months later, Bob needs money for tuition. So he decides to sell the model on eBay to get a few dollars for fees, and clear up some space in his dorm. Now, what is the difference between these two cases? In both, someone is selling a copy of someone else’s model-yet no one would raise any objection to the second case. The only reason there’s any objection is because someone feels this to be wrong. But where is the difference?

As usual Mizner you’re being an outspoken punk who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. But I’ve fallen for your troll so I’m going to address your points.

Your weird X-wing argument has nothing to do with the matter at hand. It’s also a poor argument because I frankly feel that copying an old LEGO set and selling it is bad form and extremely uncreative.

   The Gunstar is not your MOC to sell.

   He built it with his parts and to his specifications. He undoubtedly made changes, and since there never was an original set of instructions for it, he obviously had to interpret it with his own ideas. If you actually inspect the models, it’s clear Ryan was unable to find the necessary parts, and so frequently had to substitute other colors or other parts or even other segments entirely to complete the ship. As such, not only does he have the legal rights to the parts contained within the model, even under our currently draconian copyright laws the model would qualify as sufficiently different from Mark’s ship to be a seperate creation.

Can you sell it? Of course you can. Mark isn’t going to sue you or anything. But should you? God no.
There is absolutely no good reason why he shouldn’t sell it if he so desires. He owns it, and he is selling his only model, as part of a collection, for honorable purposes.

The internet has obviously created this sort of liquid exchange of ideas and information. I understand this. I actually adore it. I understand that once something has been created now (song, movie, lego creation) that it’s going to spread like a virus all over the place.

But you aren’t just ‘downloading’ his Gunship for your own enjoyment. You aren’t even sharing it like an mp3. You’re trying to sell it. You’re trying to make money off of Mark’s hard work.
He’s trying to sell his own collection, his own involvement and emotional investment in the hobby, so he and his wife can move to a better home. He isn’t starting up a production line and offering dutch auctions of eBay, for crying out loud. Someone might actually want to own a model of the Gunstar, and for what reason should he not give them the opportunity to purchase it?

Look Mizner this is just about respect. It’s not a very cool thing to do. If this guy said he’d build something else instead of Mark’s Gunstar, something new and original to auction and help with his move I swear I would bid on it.

   I can’t possibly think of a worse way to leave an impression on all of us. Why some of the other posters like Chris don’t get this just confuses the hell out of me but oh well. ~ j o n

I can’t possibly think why some posters completely ignore the sadness of a fellow .spacer leaving forever, and focus only on petty issues of personal profit and ownership. I can’t think of a worse way to leave an impression on someone leaving the community by necessity than by chewing them out for an imaginary crime.

He’s posted ten times. Ten. Mark has posted oh about 3000 times. As lame a move as I think this is by Ryan I do wish him the best. Why wouldn’t I? He’s not evil or anything. But you can’t honestly play him off like he’s now some poor banished builder who was attacked by a few .spacers. I mean he’s selling his collection anyway. He obviously doesn’t want to hang around anymore anyway. Just rip off a nice guy and then be on his way.

I think this should be sent to buy-sell-trade. Get this out of .space. Regardless, I’ve had my say on this issue and I’m done.

    j o n
zemi.net
moonbase
the-shipyard