 Space / 29015
Re: Selling my MOC Gunstar (maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:23:55 GMT

In lugnet.space, Ryan Schamp wrote:
My wife and I are buying a house and she wants us to sell our • indulgences.  So
I am selling my Lego collection, and I was wondering how much interest • there
is in the Lego community to buy MOC of the Gunstar from The Last
Starfighter.
<snip>

I just felt I should step into this, a few issues have been raised

I know what it's like to need money and have to sell your MOCs. I
understand how
that can hurt. But what you're doing right now is wrong.

I'm afraid I have to disagree,  It is not wrong.  it may not be nice,
desirable or even good.  But the fact that some have reservations about it
does not make it wrong.

You are not respecting Mark and you are not respecting the community. The
Gunstar is not your MOC to sell.

again, I disagree, why is it not Ryan's MOC to sell, This MOC is of the
Gunstar, an Awesome ship from an Awesome movie.  Mark did an excellent
rendition of it a while back, I believe that commented on it back then.

BUT (and it has been raised before)

Mark does not "own" this design.  Sure, it is highly likely that Ryan's
Gunstar was influenced but Mark's, I would be surprised if it
wasn't.  However there is not proof that this MOC was a direct rip off of
Mark's.  I can certainly understand why Mark is upset a MOC very close to
one he produced may possibly be used to turn a profit, I would be too.  But
Mark, I felt your response was a little harsh, and just a touch nasty.  I
don't think that Ryan is paying any disrespect to anyone here at all.  All
Ryan asked for are comments and ideas for price.  A simple "I don't think
that you should sell a MOC that looks to be based of mine" would have been
just as sufficient, to begin with at least.  Remember respect runs both
ways, if you want to be respected you must respect others, not dictate what
is respectful.

Can you sell it? Of course you can. Mark isn't going to sue you or anything.
But should you? God no.

This is a much nicer way to answer the question, Should Ryan sell his MOC?

The internet has obviously created this sort of liquid exchange of ideas and
information. I understand this. I actually adore it. I understand that once
something has been created now (song, movie, lego creation) that it's going to
spread like a virus all over the place.

It is the nature of the Beast.  It's why I was drawn to LUGNET, to see
others do what I enjoyed most an hopefully learn from them too.

But you aren't just 'downloading' his Gunship for your own enjoyment. You
aren't
even sharing it like an mp3. You're trying to sell it. You're trying to make
money off of Mark's hard work.

again, I fail to see the DIRECT link between Ryan selling this MOC for
whatever reason and Mark's MOC.  Many have already put forth the suggestion
of breaking it up for bricks and other ideas.  If Ryan was looking to
"Profit" from Mark's work I fail to see why he would ask about it in such a
public forum, but maybe I just put to much faith in people's honesty.

I can't possibly think of a worse way to leave an impression on all of us.
Why some of the other posters like Chris don't get this just confuses the hell
out of me but oh well.

I actually agree with Chris on this one.  I think, and please do not think
of this as an attack upon anyone in this forum, that Mark's response was
less that appropriate.  I think that he could have argued his point in a
much more effective and efficient way.  You speak of leaving bad
impressions on people Jon but do you fail to see how these comments could
also be viewed as leaving a bad impression?

Simply put I think this is a good Gunstar MOC, and I would suspect that it
would sell well on Ebay or wherever.  If I had the money I would consider
buying it.  But I can understand that others would not think the same way,
I can completely understand Marks opinion of the situation.  But snide
comments and demands are not the way to get your point across.

Leg Godt
Travis Matheson