 Star Wars / 16386
Re: Selling my MOC Gunstar (maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:06:01 GMT

This debate doesn't belong in .starwars for starters, but here goes.

Now for those of you who don't agree with/like someone copying
your designs, try this -

   Go get a brick by brick design patent on it! Then, and only
then, will you have a legal foothold on your creation. Here's the
catch though - if someone copies it and ANY part/piece is different
from the original, it is considered a new design...by law.

   No, I'm not a patent lawyer. I am, however, someone who has dealt
with these issues with my own products, legally.

You may think that you "intellectually own" a design, but there's
nothing anyone can do about someone copying it and selling it.
This "gunstar" may not be the exact case, but to think that you are
the only one to think of a certain idea is absurd. That's like me
assuming that I was the only person in the world to think of making
the product that I'm known for. Not true of course. Plenty of people
thought about it, to some degree or another. I simply did it. Again,
the difference is, I have design patents.

I understand how frustrating it can be when someone copies something.
Years ago, I was heavily into making custom Hasbro SW figures. At one
point, I developed some new techniques using certain parts, to achieve
my goals. After seeing thousands of pics from other people, I came to
the conclusion that I was, in fact, the originator of these methods.
A month or so later, after debuting a certain custom figure, someone
else posted an obviously copied custom of the exact same character,
claiming it was their design. AGHH!! What was I to do?

I tried the "friendly email" thing, hoping that said person would
AT LEAST give me credit. He never did. What did I learn from this?
Copying can/will happen at any time - AND - no one is legally bound
to credit you for your original work.

So, as frustrating as it can be...get over it.