 Space / 6900
Re: modular components for sharing designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:24:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
well,
in bricklug chat room we got to talkin
about brainstorming a standard airlock size
for MOCs, and then came up w/ the idea that
rather than impose a std, we could just make
little modules that would join 'your' MOCs
airlock to a standard, i.e.

Your ship <=> airlock module <=> other MOC

so then it occurred to us that something like
the Workbee could be used to move these
airlock modules around...

the upshot of all this is that when we have
gatherings, we could all build components,
and then show up and they could all hook
together.

additionally,
we could standardize some sort of technic
connection for the airlockmodules, and/or
we could build a large spacebase and then
dock all the ships to it via the modules

btw, these airlock modules are basically
= to docking rings ;-)

-paul

I've been following this thread a bit and am wondering which modules need to
have "standards"? So far, the airlock/docking ring seems to be the only
point of contact. Are there any other modules being considered?

Have there been proposals for a standard airlock yet?

It seems to me that the airlock would need requirements for:

protrusion from the hull, or clearance around door (for module attachment)
connection pattern and interlock (Technic pins? locations?)
control locations and form (handles, tiles, etc.)
overall dimensions of module/docking ring (brick height by stud width)
maximum size of the AL door (assuming it opens - to fit inside DR)
length of DR module (for side-by-side connection of ships), or just 'stack'
multiple DR modules?

Wayne