 Space / 6940
Re: modular components for sharing designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:09:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, John D. Forinash writes:
In article <G8rKuG.7u7@lugnet.com>, Duane Hess <DNJHESS@ZDNETMAIL.COM> wrote: • <snip>

That is all true. I usually only have one corridor down the center of my
ships. It provides the main structural support. The corridor does narrow
down at entrances and junctions because I use 45 degree slopes at the top
and bottom to give it a "spacier" look. My usual goal though is to allow the
'figs to walk upright. No sense reversing all those years of evolution :-)

I tend to do this with mine, but I think my next one I'm going to try for
even more cramped. I don't know how this will carry off, though. After
having visited USS Clagamore at Patriot's Point, SC, I have a new respect
for particularly the early submariners. That boat is _small_. We 6'3" 290
lb types would not be happy on a boat like that for long; the hatchways
between segments of the ship were only about 3.5' or so tall and narrow
enough I had to turn sideways to get through...

Yikes!

I guess that I think of standards as a large informational repository. I
work in engineering IRL, so standards are a part of everyday life.

Indeed. And frankly, recently I'd've liked to have seen a good idea for a
"head" so I wouldn't have to design my own... And I couldn't remember the
names of any ships where I'd seen good ones.

My current models has a combination head/shower. If I get some time, I'll
CAD it up. The whole thing fits in a 4 X 8 footprint.

In the mean time check out Paul's vehicle.
I've taken a few ideas from there.

-JDF

-Duane