 Space / 6878
Re: modular components for sharing designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:18:45 GMT

In lugnet.space, Duane Hess writes:
I think that this is a neat idea. I'm not that big into the racing aspect of
the Consortium, but I do like the idea of the Standards. The credit idea is
also excellent in my mind. It levels the playing field with respect to
ships, functions, size, etc.

Exactly, and as far as racing contests, they won't be a major focus.  I was
expecting that the actual combat contests would be pretty popular, tho.

Since a person could choose whether to make their ship compliant, or not, it
gives a little leeway to guild members (which I like).  I think that a
little icon could be added to the web pages of members that says: "This ship
is Hexadyne compliant" or some such statement with a link back to the main
Hexadyne page.  It gives a little bragging right to the developer as well as
advertisement for Hexadyne.

that's exactly how I was hoping it would work.

Now, not only do I have to buy my parts in real life, I have to buy them in
the brick world as well. Looks like I need another job.... :-)

LOL... I hadn't really thought of it that way...

actually, you can still build whatever you like, even following the Hexadyne
Guildlaw... you just have a limited amount for any ships that you want to be
your official contest entering ships.

I am also thinking of developing a way for companies to derive Hexcred
revenue from making and "selling" compliant ships... but I'm not sure how
that would quite work yet...  It could really throw a monkey wrench into the
whole balance, so it might not happen.  Any ideas?

cheers!
Joel K