 Space / 6901
Re: modular components for sharing designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:41:31 GMT

"Joel Kuester" <septenemae@hotmail.com> wrote:

<CHIP>
Now, not only do I have to buy my parts in real life, I have to buy them in
the brick world as well. Looks like I need another job.... :-)

LOL... I hadn't really thought of it that way...

actually, you can still build whatever you like, even following the Hexadyne
Guildlaw... you just have a limited amount for any ships that you want to be
your official contest entering ships.

I am also thinking of developing a way for companies to derive Hexcred
revenue from making and "selling" compliant ships... but I'm not sure how
that would quite work yet...  It could really throw a monkey wrench into the
whole balance, so it might not happen.  Any ideas?

...While it could get complex, perhaps a "rating" system for MOCs entered as
"official entries". Perhaps allow each "company" to have one entry at a time and
people can rank their list of "favourite companies". Every few days, distribute
"HexCreds" based on rankings. (maybe clear the rankings every time anyone makes
an update? to encourage frequent checks?)  This would encourage companies to
enter designs tied to good web sites (that "hype" the design with specs and
"technical information")... presumably the better the design and the better the
web spec page, the better the ranking...

...You don't want the distribution being too linear, the top model shouldnt get
more than maybe 2x the lowest model, or maybe give it based on how many "#1"
votes they get? Like I said, it can get complex, but fun too...

...It could get fun/complex with a backend database to track current
rankings/who's voted and all... (don't let people vote on their own entries)...
---
wubwub
wubwub@wildlink.com
www.sitcatsit.com   <-- a guy and his cat