 Space / 6916
Re: modular components for sharing designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:59:43 GMT

In lugnet.space, John D. Forinash writes:
In article <G8pq1G.9y2@lugnet.com>,
Wayne R Hussey <eskimo2@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Have there been proposals for a standard airlock yet?

I've seen people creating "standard" airlocks/docking modules for a while
now. Most have some problem or another-- my own standard, for example,
takes way too much space and uses too many of pieces I don't have enough
of, so I've scrapped it.

I'm really beginning to think that the only real way we're going to wind
up with a community standard is for someone to come up with something
really incredibly cool that we all just want to use. My latest creation
features an airlock that I found on Mark Sandlin's Bricriu that he says
is adapted from a design of yours... while it doesn't include an integral
docking collar it a) looks really cool, and b) uses parts I have plenty of,
and c) a simple door doesn't take a whole lot of interior space. (any
"airlock" on the other hand would be forced to take a notable amount of
space.)  I suspect a docking ring module would be a relatively easy
addition, but would be fairly large.

Currently, I'm using the airlock from the Bricriu since it is the best one
I've found so far. It's also not depleting my specialized part stock like
other designs. Until something better comes along, that will be MY standard.

It seems to me that the airlock would need requirements for:

protrusion from the hull, or clearance around door (for module attachment)
connection pattern and interlock (Technic pins? locations?)
control locations and form (handles, tiles, etc.)
overall dimensions of module/docking ring (brick height by stud width)
maximum size of the AL door (assuming it opens - to fit inside DR)
length of DR module (for side-by-side connection of ships), or just 'stack'
multiple DR modules?

As far as a docking module is concerned, I would assume that it would be an
exterior corridor 16 studs long (good arbitrary length - accomodates two 6
stud airlock doors in the open position) with a large enough diameter to
accomodate the open airlock door(s).

Attachment of the docking module to the side of the vehicle could be made by
using pins. The spacing of the pins is the sticky part. The airlock I have
built right now has no provision for hard docking. I would have to redesign
if I wanted to dock.

I think the sheer number of variables here is why we'll have trouble getting
an airlock standard to work. Add to it the fact that what's common in one
person's collection isn't so common in other collections, and it gets
even tougher to get .space to agree on a single design.

I agree. Simple parts are the best. The tough part is the Holy Grail design
that works for most situations.

-JDF

The problem I've seen is that even with Wayne's airlock design, I've made
modifications to save on space. I'm sure other people will do that same no
matter what design is standard. It's trying to create a standard that
encompasses acceptable deviations that is that hard part.

-Duane