 Space / 6914
Re: modular components for sharing designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:42:59 GMT

In article <G8pq1G.9y2@lugnet.com>,
Wayne R Hussey <eskimo2@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Have there been proposals for a standard airlock yet?

I've seen people creating "standard" airlocks/docking modules for a while
now. Most have some problem or another-- my own standard, for example,
takes way too much space and uses too many of pieces I don't have enough
of, so I've scrapped it.

I'm really beginning to think that the only real way we're going to wind
up with a community standard is for someone to come up with something
really incredibly cool that we all just want to use. My latest creation
features an airlock that I found on Mark Sandlin's Bricriu that he says
is adapted from a design of yours... while it doesn't include an integral
docking collar it a) looks really cool, and b) uses parts I have plenty of,
and c) a simple door doesn't take a whole lot of interior space. (any
"airlock" on the other hand would be forced to take a notable amount of
space.)  I suspect a docking ring module would be a relatively easy
addition, but would be fairly large.

It seems to me that the airlock would need requirements for:

protrusion from the hull, or clearance around door (for module attachment)
connection pattern and interlock (Technic pins? locations?)
control locations and form (handles, tiles, etc.)
overall dimensions of module/docking ring (brick height by stud width)
maximum size of the AL door (assuming it opens - to fit inside DR)
length of DR module (for side-by-side connection of ships), or just 'stack'
multiple DR modules?

I think the sheer number of variables here is why we'll have trouble getting
an airlock standard to work. Add to it the fact that what's common in one
person's collection isn't so common in other collections, and it gets
even tougher to get .space to agree on a single design.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <