 Space / 6923
Re: modular components for sharing designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:27:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, John D. Forinash writes:
In article <G8rBz8.6sy@lugnet.com>, Duane Hess <DNJHESS@ZDNETMAIL.COM> wrote:
Some standards (they have never been written until this point) that I use
when building large ships are:

Beds
-Spartan  2 x 5

Next to a wall, I find 3x5 to be a better size for a spartan bed. Annoying
to build, but you can fit a minifig on it without half of him hanging off. :)
2x5 is fine if it sticks out from a wall or something like that.

I have the 2 X 5 bed next to a window, so the 'fig can hang off into it. The
other problem with the 5 long bed is that the 'fig is a little to tall to
properly lay down. I usually insert a 1 x 2 x 2 panel into the wall to help
out. I'm currently using this configuration to save on space. I have
sleeping quarters, personal storage, and a fold-away table crammed into a 7
x 6 footprint - and that includes the walls.

-Standard 3 x 6

I do prefer to use this size to avoid the problems noted above.

-Luxury   6 x 6

Hallways & Corridors
- 4 studs wide minimum, 5 bricks high minimum

This, I think, would depend on how the ship is designed-- you could get
away with some areas even 2 studs wide and three bricks tall to go after
that submarine cramped spaces look, or wider and taller to imply greater
luxury.

That is all true. I usually only have one corridor down the center of my
ships. It provides the main structural support. The corridor does narrow
down at entrances and junctions because I use 45 degree slopes at the top
and bottom to give it a "spacier" look. My usual goal though is to allow the
'figs to walk upright. No sense reversing all those years of evolution :-)

These are some of the rule that I try to adhere to. Does anyone else have
their own rules? It might be a good starting point to use simple things and
work our way up to the airlock...

I think the reason the airlock is such a juicy target is because it's easy
to see wanting to dock one ship to another, but having someone else build
some segment of the interior of "my" ship isn't as neat an idea.

Interesting point. I hadn't looked at it in that way. Maybe a Space
components ideas page? That sounds a lot like lugnet.cad.dat though....

On the other hand, interesting designs to do these sorts of things with
minimum part expenditure for maximum results _is_ a neat idea, to me. :)

I guess that I think of standards as a large informational repository. I
work in engineering IRL, so standards are a part of everyday life.

-JDF

Just 2 more cents added to the pile.

-Duane