 Space / 6838
  modular components for sharing designs

well, in bricklug chat room we got to talkin about brainstorming a standard airlock size for MOCs, and then came up w/ the idea that rather than impose a std, we could just make little modules that would join 'your' MOCs airlock to a standard, i.e. (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) What an excellent idea. I can do that! Whatever this standard becomes, let me know and I will make a docking ring extension that will mate to the standard. I can pretty much guarantee that all my large ships will have docking rings from now (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) Hi, This is really cool. As long as The Standard makes sense, I'd totally go along with this idea. So, who designs this thing now and where do we get to see it? Looking forward to this sort of stuff... For anyone interested in things like (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) I say we make it a contest. He who makes the best... wins. =) Or if that comes out dry, we just toss our ideas together until something happens. -- dataAndrew (URL) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Hexadyne (was: modular components for sharing designs)

That sounds like it'll be awesome! I can't wait to see more. If the award graphics look as good as the logo and page I'll be proud to display them:) Sign me, my MOC company that is, up as a member right away. Nathan Falslev nfalslev@netscape.net (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Hexadyne (was: modular components for sharing designs)

(...) Me too! The Astro Lift Company would be a proud member of the Hexadyne engineering consortium! Of course I would like to see your guild law in a little more detail... ;^) Astro Lift Co. link: (URL) can use the logo that Nathan Falsev made for (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Hexadyne (was: modular components for sharing designs)

(...) FalsLEV. FalsLEV. Sorry Nathan...my mistake in my last post. :^) (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Hexadyne (was: modular components for sharing designs)

(...) Hi, thanks Nathan, I'm really looking forward to seeing this in action, too. I have you down as a member, and I'll be emailing you in a week or so with your info. (I am still in the process of writing the Guildlaw right now... about 30% done.) (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) Griffon Industries would be honored to be included in this Consortium! Griffon Industries 'All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by...' Rick Hallman (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Hexadyne (was: modular components for sharing designs)

(...) cool! Thanks for signing up, I'll email you with your info as soon as it exists :) Natuarally, as soon as I get the Guildlaw into a better shape than it is currently, I'll be posting an announcement in .space I totally understand your (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Hexadyne (was: modular components for sharing designs)

(...) -- dataAndrew (URL) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) Come on out. you can even camp at my place if ya like. ;^) ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (23 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Hexadyne (was: modular components for sharing designs)

Hey, I don't think I would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out:) And you can can do whatever you please with the logo, I'm just trying to get some applied graphic art in my portfolio:) Nathan Post Scriptum: My family's last name was Jensen a (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) I think that this is a neat idea. I'm not that big into the racing aspect of the Consortium, but I do like the idea of the Standards. The credit idea is also excellent in my mind. It levels the playing field with respect to ships, functions, (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Hexadyne Consortium (Was: modular components for sharing designs)

Joel: (...) JSE (that's Jacob's Space Enterprises [1] ;-) is certainly interested in joining the Hexadyne Consortium. Please contact our manager at when the consortium is ready to take off. Play well, Jacob 1) Some of our vessels can be found at (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) Exactly, and as far as racing contests, they won't be a major focus. I was expecting that the actual combat contests would be pretty popular, tho. (...) that's exactly how I was hoping it would work. (...) LOL... I hadn't really thought of it (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  back on track ...

well, i don't know how this thread got so off-topic so fast but after more discussion in chat, the bottom line here is NOT TO IMPOSE a standard on anyone, turns out there are a few salient points: 1. std for minifig airlocks is diff than 2. std for (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: back on track ...

(...) I'm am going to assume that you are referring to the Hexadyne Consortium discussion. As I understand it (Joel may be able to explain better than I, since it's his baby) the Consortium is a voluntary guild which developes standards in order to (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: back on track ...

(...) actually, your explaination is extremely well-worded! I'm not sure if he is referring to the Consortium or not, the original post was about everybody here in .space using the same shape and size of airlock to connect ships, and I think he was (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

We, the official representative of the Tron Overlord Government, with prime dominion over the fourth Lagrangian point of the Darksun System ((URL) and current control of the zero gradient of the third Lagrangian point (L3::G0), wish to praise the (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

Oh yes, the TOG principles: I. Deconstruction is Construction II. Conformity is Competition III. Happiness is Sincerity. The best designs can only be evaluated when all are rebuilt to conform to a standard interface. Have a nice day. (...) -gyug (23 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: back on track ...

(...) Thank you. (...) That is the aspect of the Consortium that I am most likely to participate in. I am not overly concerned with the competition. I feel that I would rarely enter my ships. What I do like is the ability to assign statistics such (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) I've been following this thread a bit and am wondering which modules need to have "standards"? So far, the airlock/docking ring seems to be the only point of contact. Are there any other modules being considered? Have there been proposals for (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

"Joel Kuester" <septenemae@hotmail.com> wrote: <CHIP> (...) ...While it could get complex, perhaps a "rating" system for MOCs entered as "official entries". Perhaps allow each "company" to have one entry at a time and people can rank their list of (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) I've seen people creating "standard" airlocks/docking modules for a while now. Most have some problem or another-- my own standard, for example, takes way too much space and uses too many of pieces I don't have enough of, so I've scrapped it. (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) Currently, I'm using the airlock from the Bricriu since it is the best one I've found so far. It's also not depleting my specialized part stock like other designs. Until something better comes along, that will be MY standard. (...) As far as a (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> (...) Some standards (they have never been written until this point) that I use when building large ships are: Beds -Spartan 2 x 5 -Standard 3 x 6 -Luxury 6 x 6 Hallways & Corridors - 4 studs wide minimum, 5 bricks high (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) Next to a wall, I find 3x5 to be a better size for a spartan bed. Annoying to build, but you can fit a minifig on it without half of him hanging off. :) 2x5 is fine if it sticks out from a wall or something like that. (...) This, I think, (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) I have the 2 X 5 bed next to a window, so the 'fig can hang off into it. The other problem with the 5 long bed is that the 'fig is a little to tall to properly lay down. I usually insert a 1 x 2 x 2 panel into the wall to help out. I'm (...) (23 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  RE: modular components for sharing designs

(...) I think that the idea is not to create a standard airlock, but rather to create a standard adapter. One end of the adapter conforms to the standard airlock design and can mate with any other adapter. The other end is specifically designed to (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

Thats what I thought they started out talking about, then things got complicated. i.e. my ship = my adapter = your adapter = your ship one end of our adapters will be standard, the other will fit our ship. my $0.02 worth Gary Bram Lambrecht (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) Bram, I think you have nailed it on the head. I was already planning on doing this with at least one other AFOL when we each bring one of our capitals to a local meet. A single standard does not *have* to be incorporated on the body of the (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) I did something fairly similar, which is why I wound up with the x5 part of it. Why I did it can almost be seen in: (URL) yellow bunk (and the black one under it) is set under/into one of the arctic-base grey wall/window segments. Helps get it (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) <snip> (...) Yikes! (...) My current models has a combination head/shower. If I get some time, I'll CAD it up. The whole thing fits in a 4 X 8 footprint. In the mean time check out Paul's vehicle. (URL) taken a few ideas from there. (...) (...) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: modular components for sharing designs

(...) OK. I've taken a few minutes to mock-up the head/shower that I am using. I hope this helps. (URL) (23 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: back on track ...

(...) How about this idea: hold a contest. Post it in lugnet.build.contests and everything. People submit proposals for docking rings or airlocks or whatever, and then people vote on the proposals, and whichever is the most popular can be adopted as (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Docking Ring Standards

(...) How about this idea: hold a contest. Post it in lugnet.build.contests and everything. People submit proposals for docking rings or airlocks or whatever, and then people vote on the proposals, and whichever is the most popular can be adopted as (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Docking Ring Standards

this is a really great idea a cooperative contest wherein although there is competition, there is an underlying desire for a cooperative outcome. the only problem is that a standard is made by people actually using the idea in their MOCs so just (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Docking Ring Contest [was: Re: Docking Ring Standards]

(...) Thank you. (...) Great! I'm looking forward to it. I'm kind of new around here, so I am glad someone more established is willing to run it. What would the rules be? I've noticed that some of us are more strict than others about what (...) (23 years ago, 9-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)