 Space / 37491
Re: I must leave...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:18:56 GMT

I was going to ignore this, but I decided against. I mean, deciding to leave a forum because of a few spats? I know someone else pointed out that ANY community is going to have its spats and drama.

In lugnet.space, Devin Michel wrote:
   I can’t take it anymore!

I have noticed a stream of immaturity and bickering that has gone too far.

First, there are the SciBrick incidents. I can’t understand what is going on here.

Let me point out: All effort was made to make the SciBrick incident a private affair, involving only those involved. That internal discussion broke down and stopped completely, so it exploded out into the open.

Then a few people who had no idea what was going on, knew none of the key players, and were mostly ignorant about SciBrick itself felt the need to jump in and give their two cents - which just made the whole mess that much bigger and messier.

I don’t like that it happened, but sometimes, these things just gotta happen.

   I am deeply depressed by all of these petty feuds. I hate to say this (possibly it’s insensitive to some and even cliché), But I spoke to Travis once last summer over e-mail. He had seemed like a pertinent and kindly member of the community. I asked him if this was the place for me. He described it as a friendly congregation of AFOL’s that would delight and inspire me. He had no idea that this would happen.

Travis had more than the idea that all of this would happen and more. He was a smart guy and was on the inside track of several of the dramas that happened. He, like several other people around here, tried to cool things off and help people get along. I really wish he was here still because I know he’d be better at this than I am...

But the point here is that Travis knew to not judge a community by its dirty laundry. Everyone has drama, everyone has grief - if you expect a group of people not to have its immaturity or its petty differences, then you’re in for a big suprise. Get a group of people greater than 5 and you’ll see all of the difference and drama you see here.

Travis loved the LEGO Fan Community, even if it wasn’t always perfect, because it is more good than it is bad. And I believe that, and I pity you for not believing it.

   The point of this post though is not just to say that I have had enough of this, but to show it. As of January 1st, 2005, I will officially leave this forum. Not that I will leave Lego. I won’t let anyone ruin that for me. But action is needed. Someone needs to show that this is a public forum, and that everyone can see how foolish certain members are acting.

Creating a big dramatic post to show us how immature we are? I would think that the mature thing to do would be to stick it out and help those of us less enlightened the error of our ways.

Well, if you want to go, then you can go. This community isn’t for everyone.

-Lenny