 Space / 32966
Re: .space Subtheme Guide (incl. long Space Hippie manifesto)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:03:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:

   Hi Kevin, what you might want to consider is categorisation by role... after all, a subtheme/faction is typically designed with a particular role (or at least a primary role) in mind.

snip

  • Miscellaneous recreational (RastaSTARians, Space hippies) • snip

The role of ‘Holy Fools’ is so much more than merely recreational. However, if by recreational you meant sticking it to the Man, spreading peace and love, and blowing minds, then you are correct. ;-)

snip

Rather than pepper this thread with posts, here’s my response to various posts about the Subtheme Guide:

I’m thinking that the difference between a Private Universe and a Subtheme has more to do with how it integrates with the rest of .space than whether more people build in that style. You’ll notice various alliances and sworn enemies among the various subthemes. These themes are inter-related and serve to ‘feed’ each other’s rhetoric, and thus keep the entertainment value high. I know my eyes glaze over after too much backstory in a PU, but I always enjoy the interaction in .space as various builders add to the stories. As I previously mentioned my inspiration came in part from the Iron Reich and a perceived need for some visuals and counter-story to balance Keith’s storyline. You can’t develop your muscles without some resistance, after all. Like all dualities, you can’t have one side without the other.

I’m not trying to exclude anybody here. We’re an inclusive bunch here in Space-Hippie-dom as I believe we are in .space in general. For instance, we would welcome Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads to our subtheme. As a “gang of psychedelic thrill-seekers”, they are in line with the Space Hippie philosophy.

Here’s something I wrote up a little while ago in response to the request for subtheme writeups:

Ladies and gentlemen, we are floating in space. (Yes I know, ‘hurtling’(1) is a more appropriate term than ‘floating’.) Or, further thoughts about Space Peace, Space Hippies and the Harry Pranksters

As Jefferson Airplane became Jefferson Starship, they produced an album called Blows Against the Empire(2), wherein they delineated a plan to hijack the first starship and take the hippie philosophy into space. The Space Hippies are partly the offspring of that idea.

The Harry Pranksters are of course based on Ken Kesey’s Merry Pranksters and are all about keeping the fun in .space.

After recent events, (the Rastastarians) I feel that I could mention another influence on my thinking and that is the pot-head pixies of the planet Gong. They travel around in a flying teapot of course. (Yes, watch this space for more later) The brainchildren of Daevid Allen (later Divided Alien) and his band Gong, the PHP are another fun-loving element to include. Gong is an ‘inter-dimensional’ planet and you don’t visit it so much as it visits you.

(begin crankiness) As for mapping things out in time and space, you won’t see that from me. I’ve read and seen too much conceptual SF(3) to give a damn where a particular Star Wars film fits in George Lucas’ timeline, let alone how other stories fit with it or each other. Pick up one of the Dangerous Visions anthologies for example and then tell me what matters. My universe has room for PCS, Tralfamador, the Eastern Block, Tattooine, Gong, and even Baron Munchausen. (/end crankiness)

So, there you have it for what it’s worth. I’m grateful to Kevin for what he’s done to clarify the various subthemes of .space. As others have said, Play well, have fun, and keep on building. (and Don’t Panic)

Peace and inclusivity,

Professor Whateverly

(1) I forget how fast. Anyone out there have an eye on the speedometer?

(2) First rock album nominated for a Hugo award, IIRC

(3) Along with recent theory about Multiverses. Speaking of mindblowing...