 Space / 32647
Re: .space Subtheme Guide
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:12:16 GMT

A lot of cool suggestions have been thrown out already but here’s my take on .space subthemes...

Although there are so many cool personal universes already (or personal subthemes as Paul suggested), I’m inclined to regard a subtheme as such when other builders in the .space community get in on the action rather than just the theme’s creator. That doesn’t mean personal universes are somehow less interesting to me. It’s all good! I just don’t think having a color scheme for MOC’s, a backstory, and some minifig characters automatically makes it a subtheme if it’s just the original creator doing all the building. For my tastes, once a personal universe is embraced by the community and other builders start to build MOC’s along the same lines, then that’s when it becomes a .space subtheme.

For example, I regard PCS as a .space subtheme because, in addition to a color scheme, backstory, and neat characters, several other builders in the community besides Chris have joined in to contribute MOC’s along the same lines and add to the story and gallery of characters. Same thing goes for Eastern Block since it isn’t just Lenny and Rick making the MOC’s. But I wouldn’t regard the Adaloids in my Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads stories as a subtheme (or even Captain Ahnee for that matter). Even though the Dipwads and Adaloids are distinct minifig characters with a backstory and spaceships with a specific color scheme and design style, I’m the only person who builds for the Dipwads and Adaloids. So I would have to say they’re still in my personal universe. But if others decide to build their own Dipwad or Adaloid MOC’s, then I think it changes from a personal universe to an “official” subtheme.

--Dan