 Space / 24793
Re: The Ghost
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:24:09 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   Ghost

Capt.Hennen, This creation shows alot of promise. It is pretty good as a step one into spaceship design and building.

Thank you.

   Some tips:
  • you’ve got a 2 level ship here. while they can be done well (check out adm.giddens’ pelican), they are tough and it is easy to mess them up. check out my Duvernay Mk1 for an example of a failed three level ship.

Yeah, I know.

  • the secret to a good looking spaceship is curvature! actually, i should put it like this CURVATURE because of how important it is. LEGO has a tendency for the boxy, and it is the job of the spaceship to trancend that boxiness.

Well, I would like to do that but I don’t have many smooth, curved parts.

  • spend some time with some experienced guys. Look at some of Dan Jassim’s smaller ships: see how he uses the color against the greys. specifically here: Transport. There is a stripe of color lengthwise and the rest of the ship is grey/ dark grey. this creates a slight illusion of greater length, and de-emphasizes general boxiness.

Ah, yes!

  • Someone good to look at that you might not think of is Tim Deering, one of the great unsung builders. This Shuttle is an excellent example of great, easy ship. Put slopes on the front, and simple snot on the side (use a technic brick and technic stud-pins) breaks up what could be disasterously boxy.

Hmmm..got to roll that over in my mind for a bit.

  • JHK is also really good at using a moderate sized collection with great results. This Shuttle especially. Here, simple slopes and basic SNOT give a really curved spaceship.

Ooooooo........I’m soooooo jealous! ^ ^”

  • A great rule, is when you can’t use slopes, use greebles. You’ve got a good start with some of those hoses and such, but go over board with it. The key to good greeblage is creativity. Take Brucey-wan’s Star Flux he’s using minifig hands, drills, screw drivers and binoculars as details! A great builder always allows herself to use every piece available!

0.0 My God. It’s a cool idea but I want to conserve pieces for some other MOCs and I don’t usually know where to put everything. But it’s still a cool idea.

  • The power of greebles can be shown with my Duvernay Mk2. What could be a mediocre, really boxy ship is saved by the greeblage on the roof.

??? What’s a greeble?

  • Probably one of the best ways to get a good shape with a modest sized creation is to rely on windscreens. Take my most recent creation Kalashnikov, I use the curve of the window and allow it to be the nose of my craft. this gives the rest of it, which is really quite boxy, to have that implied curve to it. Another good example is JHK’s Dave’s Freighter, and Jassim’s Black Comet. Both let the windscreen dictate the rest of ship’s shape.

Hmmmm....yes. I wanted the Ghost to be a large, piece-of-salvaged-junk-small-freighter thingy with a big front windshield. I got plenty of good windshields.

   But like I said, what you’ve got here is a great first step and shows some real promise. keep building and eventually you’ll get the hang of bending the lego to your will and allowing the lego to shape your designs!

^.^’

   -Jr.Mar.Hoffman

Cheers (*cooks a fleeb with plasma*)

Spc. Ops. Captain Hennen