 Space / 18813
Re: WANTED: New fad!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 02:00:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Andrew Martin writes:
snip!

5. One thing I'd really like to see would be a modular starship version of
moonbase. The ship would probably be a linear row of module segments
(although your could have single-to-double-row couplers), and the
participants would want to arrange who makes the bow and stern sections.
Then it's just up to the various meetings to make as long a ship as
possible!

I really like this idea.  I'd been thinking of doing something like this on
my own when I started my modular pod stuff.  Sort of like a space train.
This could work very well if we come up with a good standard.

-Andrew

Just a very timid suggestion (from someone who is only posting in .space for
the very first time - hello all!).

Seeing as though the Moonbase concept was so successful, maybe the creators
of any spaceships could consider using the same standard size for
attachments as established in the Moonbase Project, only at "ground level",
and without connecting corridors (ie the wall of the starship section is at
the very end of the basseplate).

It'd be a good idea too for the participants who are creating the modules on
the sides of the starship to keep in mind the fact that you wouldn't really
want the sides of the ship to be too flat and uninteresting. Although, if
the sides became too complex, it'd be difficult to match them up.

That's beginning to look like a few suggestions.

At the moment, I'm working on a modulated ship myself, with 2 parts (at
least): a command module and the rest of the ship. Although for the scale I
think Paul's thinking of, my command module would look more like a shuttle
craft!

(speaking of which, Paul: I no longer need those 2x2 white inverse slopes I
asked you for last MUGS meeting - I've figured out a different solution)

If anybody is considering taking up this option, NELUGs have had a few
Brikwars battles set in large spaceships. Perhaps the modules built for
those could be a jumping-off point for this project. (See www.brikwars.com
for more details)