 Space / 18794
Re: WANTED: New fad!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 00:34:34 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
You know, that's very true.  Mladen's suits are a blast.  There were few
variants (a firefighting suit....my apologies to the builder for not being
able to recall his name) that were really spectacular.

Yeah, I saw them. Very nice - A quick search of brickshelf reveals William
Toenjes as the builder. My favourite variation, though, was this one :
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoyalGuard/Space-MOCs/MISC/clown.jpg by
Timotheus Deering.

The manned mini mech  (M3?) are a real catchy thing as well. Yours rocks.
John Kornhaus made his premier post with one a few days...his Ranger w/pod.

<flips over to brickshelf againg> O yeah, I remember that one. Neat.

Another powered suit came up on my search by one Austin Bailey that looks
like a Pixie that's been on an extended course of steroids
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=263378). Then there's
Kotaro Ono's Nightmare - whooee that's nice. So much inspiration, so little
time.

My mecha skills are poor to say the least, but they look like such fun I'm
willing to give it a shot.

I'm really only beginning, and up until a few weeks ago I thought I wasn't
interested in building Mecha, but when I look at some of the creations,
especially by some of the Japanese artists, and the innovative and
economical use of parts they employ the urge to build becomes irresistable.

I felt the same as you, so I started small, hence the miniwalker and the
WPOD. I'm getting a bit more ambitious now and have a beautifully
articulated arm mostly built that can mimic pretty much any movement of the
human arm and hand (19 points of articulation - 14 in the hand alone -
blurry teaser pic here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=267897) but I'm a bit
stumped on building a shoulder that's both strong enough and moves the way I
want.

Anyway, chronic thread drift aside, I'm not really interested in building
Technic stuff, so I see mecha as being a nice technically challenging
alternative - and they look dead cool. It's a nice counterpart to building
space or town, which is more of an aesthetic outlet.

O well, maybe it's not fad fodder in the same realm as pods. I guess we'll
have to use the traditional method - wait for a MOC that for no apparent
reason triggers one.

Cheers,
Allister