 Space / 18776
Re: WANTED: New fad!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 05:54:18 GMT

pixies...i could've sworn those were going to be the next new thing. i was
almost positive. alot of people made versions, and mods, and though i didn't
build one, it did inspire me to see how small i could make one of my
powersuits, the Grunt (www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=24129), that
had all necessary joints for motion. however, it turned out quite a bit
bigger. i think i know why pixie's didn't turn into the next fad, though. it
was too specific, and battle armor in general is too broad. it has to be a
specific concept of it's own, but broad enough for interpretation. such as
the pod...2 pieces are really all that is needed for a "pod". both are big
8x8 dishes...and that's it. that's all you have to have for it to be a pod.
easy enough to meet the requirements, and they all look like "pods", but you
can do lots of different things with those 2 pieces. all the same, i swear
the pixie was the cutest little mass producable weapon of destruction i ever
saw.
-austin
p.s. i'm glad i can now post again..it's been a while, but i got my account
going again.

In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren writes:
In lugnet.space, Kyle Keppler writes:
That's the thing with fads, you can never predict what they will be. It
needs to be simple, yet easy, and still cool to succede in .space. Here's to
the next fad, whatever it is!

I'm surprised that after Mladen Pejic's Pixie was revealed that powered
suits didn't take off more than they did. They've got the hallmarks of a
neat fad - they don't require 100,000 parts to build but they're complex
enough and open to near infinite interpretations - perhaps even moreso than
pods - that they could really get your creative juices going.

My miniwalker, which started out as a powered suit, but grew into more of a
mech, was inspired by the pixie, despite the fact they bear vitrtually no
resemblance to each other. (see
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=27587)

Cheers,
Allister

mmm... I can feel another powered suit coming on - Get me the magnifying glass!