 Space / 18772
Re: WANTED: New fad!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 01:25:17 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:
Attention spacers!

Things are a little too quiet in .space at the moment. The reason, IMO, is
obvious. We need a new fad.
Look at the past fads which have spurred a good deal of creativity:

You forgot one:
Hoverbikes! Paul had a contest with those and most people made 2+ of em :-)

So what's the next fad? Hmm. Tough question. How about I quickly make a list
of a bunch of (potentially stupid) ideas that pop into my head to get the
ball rolling, and then someone might have a genuinely _good_ idea!

That's the thing with fads, you can never predict what they will be. It
needs to be simple, yet easy, and still cool to succede in .space. Here's to
the next fad, whatever it is!

1. Vehicles/ships with a creature motif (think 'Hopcraft') or even a plant
motif. Anyone remember the space-tree ships in "Tenchi-Muyo"?
2. A ship that uses as many of your pink elements as possible. Can't see
many takers here, but I'll give it a go ;-)
3. Ships with as much concealed equipment as possible that 'pops out'. As an
example, here's a fighter I recently made that conceals its weaponry:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/shnub/new-space-mocs/seiryuu1.jpg
4. Microfig versions of as many of your ships as possible, to put in a
microfig space-base diorama.
5. One thing I'd really like to see would be a modular starship version of
moonbase. The ship would probably be a linear row of module segments
(although your could have single-to-double-row couplers), and the
participants would want to arrange who makes the bow and stern sections.
Then it's just up to the various meetings to make as long a ship as
possible!

All good ideas. I think a combo of those would be best: Transforming
animal/bug-ships! To tell you the truth I've just been lazy. And when I have
been building, it's been of my new SHIP (there ja go Jon, someone else using
your term now :-P). And it aint gonna be done for a while, so everyone can
just wait in antcipation.

And if you do a little searching, you can find some previews of that beast.

--Kyle
http://lego.kepplah.com