 Space / 18749
Re: WANTED: New fad!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:50:31 GMT

Aye...it has been a little quieter lately.  Messageboards seem to go through
cycles tho'.  I'm sure that everyone's part counts will go up around
Christmas with the release of the 2003 SW line in some areas, plus the
under-the-tree additions.

Always hard to say what the next new thing will be.  Most trends seem to
start almost by chance and sporadically, with the exception of the moonbase
phenom of course - it's organisation and delivery was incredible.

All your suggestions are good ones (and the example is fantastic!), but I
suppose it will take an MOC itself to start the ball rolling.  Perhaps it
already has!

Cheers,
-G

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:
Attention spacers!

Things are a little too quiet in .space at the moment. The reason, IMO, is
obvious. We need a new fad.
Look at the past fads which have spurred a good deal of creativity:

Mecha            (the mother of all fads... so big they got their own group
;-)
Turbocycles   (fun & easy on the parts count, and nice to use up those
wheels!)
'bots'               (well, not a huge fad, but good for greebly ideas)
Moonbases   (fantastic social idea)
Pods              (I didn't go for them personally, but still a good idea)

So what's the next fad? Hmm. Tough question. How about I quickly make a list
of a bunch of (potentially stupid) ideas that pop into my head to get the
ball rolling, and then someone might have a genuinely _good_ idea!

1. Vehicles/ships with a creature motif (think 'Hopcraft') or even a plant
motif. Anyone remember the space-tree ships in "Tenchi-Muyo"?
2. A ship that uses as many of your pink elements as possible. Can't see
many takers here, but I'll give it a go ;-)
3. Ships with as much concealed equipment as possible that 'pops out'. As an
example, here's a fighter I recently made that conceals its weaponry:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/shnub/new-space-mocs/seiryuu1.jpg
4. Microfig versions of as many of your ships as possible, to put in a
microfig space-base diorama.
5. One thing I'd really like to see would be a modular starship version of
moonbase. The ship would probably be a linear row of module segments
(although your could have single-to-double-row couplers), and the
participants would want to arrange who makes the bow and stern sections.
Then it's just up to the various meetings to make as long a ship as
possible!

Hmm, well the last idea is probably the most promising one. Any other ideas?

--
Cheers,
Paul