 Space / 18745
WANTED: New fad!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 02:10:30 GMT

Attention spacers!

Things are a little too quiet in .space at the moment. The reason, IMO, is
obvious. We need a new fad.
Look at the past fads which have spurred a good deal of creativity:

Mecha            (the mother of all fads... so big they got their own group
;-)
Turbocycles   (fun & easy on the parts count, and nice to use up those
wheels!)
'bots'               (well, not a huge fad, but good for greebly ideas)
Moonbases   (fantastic social idea)
Pods              (I didn't go for them personally, but still a good idea)

So what's the next fad? Hmm. Tough question. How about I quickly make a list
of a bunch of (potentially stupid) ideas that pop into my head to get the
ball rolling, and then someone might have a genuinely _good_ idea!

1. Vehicles/ships with a creature motif (think 'Hopcraft') or even a plant
motif. Anyone remember the space-tree ships in "Tenchi-Muyo"?
2. A ship that uses as many of your pink elements as possible. Can't see
many takers here, but I'll give it a go ;-)
3. Ships with as much concealed equipment as possible that 'pops out'. As an
example, here's a fighter I recently made that conceals its weaponry:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/shnub/new-space-mocs/seiryuu1.jpg
4. Microfig versions of as many of your ships as possible, to put in a
microfig space-base diorama.
5. One thing I'd really like to see would be a modular starship version of
moonbase. The ship would probably be a linear row of module segments
(although your could have single-to-double-row couplers), and the
participants would want to arrange who makes the bow and stern sections.
Then it's just up to the various meetings to make as long a ship as
possible!

Hmm, well the last idea is probably the most promising one. Any other ideas?

--
Cheers,
Paul