 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1602
Re: NQC's future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:41:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Ralph Hempel wrote:
Something I'd like to see implemented in NQC is a mixed-mode multiply/divide,
similar to the */ operator in Forth, with an intermediary 32bits product. That
would greatly ease precision calculations without requiring major structural
modifications.

Ha Ha, very funny :-)

;o) ... but why not ?

Seriously, Philippe, why not give pbForth a try? I know that NQC works great
on both the Spybots and the RCX, and even Cybermaster.

But if you're looking for speed, higher precision, lots of variables
and generally more horsepower without the BrickOS complexity....

You're right, I should try pbForth, actually I intend to do that for a while but
never jumped in.

In the late 80's, I was involved in a point of sales terminal project that was
programmed with a preemptive multitasking Forth, so I have a thicker Forth
varnish than many... nevertheless I still feel uncomfortable with its advanced
features (I was on the hardware side of the project and only wrote simple test
applications).

Cheers,

Philo