 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1586
Re: NQC's future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 21:10:39 GMT

NQC ...
I'd also like to ask for help from ... Linux ...

By the way, people who have a CD-booting Windows-compatible PC have free Linux
too, via a boot CD that works without repartitioning (or even writing) the boot
HDD:

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2003/11/20/knoppix.html

http://members.aol.com/plscsi/tools/knoppix/

Indeed I think I specifically remember seeing rcx serial port tools work there,
though I'm not utterly sure.

NQC ...
I'd also like to ask for help from someone in the Mac world who would be
willing to build new releases for the Mac and, likewise, from someone in the
Linux world.  If you'd like to volunteer, send me an e-mail.

Hi, me, I have only Mac at home and mostly Linux at work.

On my own I feel I'm not remembering to find enough time to play with our
painfully-expensive RCX, so yes the community here could help by e-mailing me:

p.lavarre@ieee.org

http://members.aol.com/ppaatt/

Please do feel free to ask me to try well-explained things in Mac/ Linux/ Win
XP, at least if in fact noone more easily usable consistently volunteers.
Personally as yet I visit here, I do not subscribe, I don't have e-mail clients
configured to cope well with much incoming e-mail.  NQC intrigues me in part
because once upon a time I was a 1989 std. C compiler language lawyer.

With RCX, I've gotten no farther along than reading K~'s disassembly of standard
serial port firmware and writing my own cli javax.comm remote control:

ftp://members.aol.com/plforth/console/rcx/

I remember I was hoping to learn to play sheet music out thru the rcx, but
reviewing that project with a musician in real life overwhelmed me with the gui
seemingly required, since as yet I have near zero gui design experience.

I haven't yet upgraded our 1.1 rcx to usb from serial.  I guess I need to do
that.  I suppose google near here will tell me how for less than about US$30.

Pat LaVarre

P.S. The megabytes of my (silent, and aesthetically challenged) movie of my
child's reproduction of Ferrari et. al drum-playing rcx appears at:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/katetheauthor/