 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1589
Re: NQC's future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:41:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Dirk Schlei wrote:
Even if it requires a firmware replacement, please add:

- more variables,
- float type variables,
- string type variables,
- certain math library (sin, cos, exp, ...) - at least good approximations,
- more subs,
- functions with return values,

NQC is a language/compiler which works with the standard LEGO firmware(s).  I
don't anticipate that ever changing.

But here's a glimpse of something new for the Spybot target that might be
interesting to NQC users.  Would 256 (or 128, if you want to protect your Spybot
game data) byte-sized storage locations be useful?  Because these are byte-size
locations, there may currently be some problems with the tranformations that
certain operators use to calculate their result (such as >>).

#define a @(0x140000 + 0x80)
#define b @(0x140000 + 0x81)

task main()
{
  a = 5;
  b = 3;
  a = a + 1;
  a = a << 1;
  a >>= 2;
  a <<= 1;
  a = a % 2;
  a %= 2;
  a = a + b;
  a += b;
  a %= b;
  a *= 3;
  a &= b;
  a |= 3;
  a ||= b;
  b = -1;
  a +-= b;
  a ^= 0x80;
}

And I still think pointers are cool.  I'm currently working on getting them to
work with inline function calls.  But a lot of stuff works already.

int i = 30;

task main()
{
  int x = 3;