 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1631
Re: Ideas for NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:26:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
Now that Dave Baum has given you the control under NQC, how will you manage to
work both on NQC and on BricxCC???

Well, it won't be easy.  It doesn't help that I've been working long hours at my
day job either.  But I'll do my best.

For NQC, something that you can add is optional use of semi-colon. • [...]
Semi-colon is not necessary if commands are in different lines, they are only
necessary between commands in the same line.  I think this is not part of the
API, it is part of the programming language.

In C & C++ it is not optional to use a semi-colon at the end of a line.  The
same goes for Java, C#, and Pascal.  The NQC language follows this pattern of
requiring a semi-colon at the end of each line.  I don't plan on changing it.

For BricxCC, I suggest adding automatic correction of command case. For example,
if you write
playtone(523,10), instead of showing "undefined function 'playtone' in line xx",
try to make BricxCC change it into PlayTone.

BricxCC already has this feature - at least, a feature that is very much like
what you describe.  It's called Code Completion.  Try typing playtone then
Ctrl+Space (the hot key is configurable via the Preferences dialog).  You should
see a pop-up window with PlayTone listed as the only option.  Press Enter to
replace "playtone" with "PlayTone".

Since NQC has a macro definition feature and support for header files and since
you can define your own functions which take parameters it is not such a simple
thing to be able to assume that playtone(523, 10) is supposed to be the built-in
API function called PlayTone.  But the Code Completion feature at least gives
you the option of case correcting built-in API constants, functions, and
reserved words.

Maybe these changes are already made. I have BricxCC 3.3 (build 3.3.7.5) and NQC
2.5a1. What are the last versions available?

The latest versions are BricxCC 3.3.7.7 and NQC 3.0.a2.  You should definitely
consider upgrading since all versions of NQC prior to 3.0.a2 have a bug in the
Spybot subroutine return code generation.

John Hansen
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/