 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1580
  NQC's future

I'm very interested in hearing from NQC users what their needs/wishes are for future enhancements. Here's my current list of updates/enhancements that I am working on. 1. Built-in and documented Spybot API. 2. Fast firmware download via USB tower (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, John Hansen wrote: John, thanks for taking on the maintenance and improvement of NQC. (...) I'd definitely like to see this one implemented, when you can find the time. :-) Mark (21 years ago, 2-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) I am happy to help out as best I can. Unfortunately, there is little chance that I will do as good a job as Dave Baum has done over the years. But I'll try my best. (...) Yes. When I can find the time. I'm also trying to find the time to do a (...) (21 years ago, 2-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

I would like functions to be able to return something other than zero. (If there's a way to do this (other than global variables) already, please let me know!) (...) (21 years ago, 3-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) All, I thought that the spybot could not have the firmware replaced. Am I wrong? -Andrea (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) I think you are the victim of too much snippage... :-) If you reread the original message, there is indeed mention of adding various Spybot related features but the "non-standard firmware support" was in reference to NQC in general. I assume (...) (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) By the way, people who have a CD-booting Windows-compatible PC have free Linux too, via a boot CD that works without repartitioning (or even writing) the boot HDD: (URL) I think I specifically remember seeing rcx serial port tools work there, (...) (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) and what about this : (URL) <- my legnoppix project nanobapt (21 years ago, 7-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) Dear John, Even if it requires a firmware replacement, please add: - more variables, - float type variables, - string type variables, - certain math library (sin, cos, exp, ...) - at least good approximations, - more subs, - functions with (...) (21 years ago, 9-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) NQC is a language/compiler which works with the standard LEGO firmware(s). I don't anticipate that ever changing. But here's a glimpse of something new for the Spybot target that might be interesting to NQC users. Would 256 (or 128, if you (...) (21 years ago, 10-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) click thru to: Présentation (URL) I found the English page: (URL) my eye, Babelfish seems to think the French there says: Legnoppix is a version of Knoppix Linux, bootable via CD even in a PC that ordinarily boots Windows. Legnoppix differs (...) (21 years ago, 11-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

Sorry for the french .... But the description is true nanobapt (21 years ago, 11-Dec-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) Something I'd like to see implemented in NQC is a mixed-mode multiply/divide, similar to the */ operator in Forth, with an intermediary 32bits product. That would greatly ease precision calculations without requiring major structural (...) (20 years ago, 8-Jan-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  RE: NQC's future

(...) Ha Ha, very funny :-) Seriously, Philippe, why not give pbForth a try? I know that NQC works great on both the Spybots and the RCX, and even Cybermaster. But if you're looking for speed, higher precision, lots of variables and generally more (...) (20 years ago, 8-Jan-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) ;o) ... but why not ? (...) You're right, I should try pbForth, actually I intend to do that for a while but never jumped in. In the late 80's, I was involved in a point of sales terminal project that was programmed with a preemptive (...) (20 years ago, 9-Jan-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) Here's a suggestion/question: is it possible (either in the current incarnation or a future one) for NQC to use FastTimer() as a source for events? Timer() works, but not (it seems) FastTimer(). (20 years ago, 11-Jan-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) According to the LEGO documentation, only the normal (source 1) Timers can be used as an event source. The ‘sensors’ for which events can be generated are: · Physical sensors (Source 9, Range 0-2, Logical number 0-2) · System timers (Source 1, (...) (20 years ago, 12-Jan-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote in message news:HrB87H.17p1@lugnet.com... (...) future one) for NQC (...) I think your question probably meant "can I use FastTimer in defining events because I want better resolution than is possible with (...) (20 years ago, 12-Jan-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) Very! I don't expect to use the game data often, but it would be nice to have the option of having it available or not. thanks for the great work! (20 years ago, 28-Jan-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Ideas for NQC

Hi John, Now that Dave Baum has given you the control under NQC, how will you manage to work both on NQC and on BricxCC??? I recomend the following changes: For NQC, something that you can add is optional use of semi-colon. It's a pain when I do a (...) (20 years ago, 8-Mar-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: Ideas for NQC

(...) ...a bit like NQP (Not Quite Pascal) :D ? (...) That would have to be called NQB (Not Quite BASIC) ;) Ok, now, seriously, this could be usefull for lazzy typists like me, but remember that C is case sensitive, so, how could BricxCC decide (...) (20 years ago, 9-Mar-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Ideas for NQC

(...) Well, it won't be easy. It doesn't help that I've been working long hours at my day job either. But I'll do my best. (...) [...] (...) In C & C++ it is not optional to use a semi-colon at the end of a line. The same goes for Java, C#, and (...) (20 years ago, 9-Mar-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Ideas for NQC

(...) I object to this proposed change. Lack of knowledge of a language's syntax does not justify changing the syntax. (...) [SNIP] Kevin (20 years ago, 9-Mar-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: Ideas for NQC

(...) I could not agree more with Kevin. Adding a feature, such as adding in more intricate math functions, or add in tcp/ip socket support, etc. is more fruitful than making the language syntax more like others just because someone is not used to (...) (20 years ago, 9-Mar-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) Call me kooky, but I'd like to see actual DOS support (ie, non-Win32s specific code) for the serial port. I have an old, trusty Win3.11 laptop that I want to use when taking my RCX out to events, for last minute fiddling. I've found version (...) (20 years ago, 2-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) I'm not likely to ever attempt such thing. Sorry about that. Maybe someone else will. John Hansen (20 years ago, 2-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) I probably botched the DOS serial driver, but you could give this build a try. (Requires at least a 386) (URL) had the djgpp version of gcc lying around from a previous DOS project, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Don (20 years ago, 3-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: NQC's future

(...) Ok, I was right. That one didn't work, so I pasted together some DOS UART code and made a PSerial_dos.cpp file that does seem to work my antique 486 DOS PC. I put a zip file with the DOS nqc.exe, the CWSDPMI.EXE DOS extender, and the source (...) (20 years ago, 11-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  Re: Ideas for NQC

"John Hansen" <JohnBinder@aol.com> escribió en el mensaje news:HuB9Bv.1KyA@lugnet.com... (...) NQC (...) What I download is an upgrade or the whole program again? Is it necessary to uninstall the previous version? (20 years ago, 27-Apr-04, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)