 Robotics / 25589
Re: MDP Status - Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:20:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
(2) receive an NDA
Do we even know that people in the "beta test" will be required to sign
NDAs? What benifit to LEGO would there be by having people sign NDAs? (much
better to have everyone spreading the word and getting free word-of-mouth
advertizing :)

And since one of the areas they're looking for people to contribute is in
blogging, it would truly be counterproductive.

They might have some kind of agreement that allows people to talk but not to
share internals or something like that--but that's just a guess.

There is a very fine line from comprimising your product and restricting your
developer program too much to be really useful.  Also, with products that
contain IP from multiple sources it can even be more hairy.  Think about it:
there is the NXT, the LabView based application, as well as any external tools
that were developed for the NXT set all of which may or maynot be completely
owned by LEGO), as well as potentially custom silicon (probably not but who
knows?).  I've actually speculated that the MAIN reason for the magical 100 is
to be able to manage any IP issues more effectively (both LEGO's IP and any IP
inherited from the MDP itself).  I mean ideally you want as many people as
possible to be hard-core beta testers and weed out bugs and code more features.
However, all of these changes have to be incorporated into the final product
which takes time (doc issues, internationalization, licensing, etc.).

Btw, Mindstorms.com has gotten updated with the following:

"Thank you to everyone who applied to be a part of the MINDSTORMS Developer
Program! We received a very enthusiastic reaction from the community and are
finalizing our selections. The entire team thanks you for your excitement and
respectfully asks that you please refrain from calling or emailing us to check
on your status. We will be in touch with everyone who applied before the end of
the month."

This leads me to believe that everyone will be getting "yay" or "nay" emails by
the 28th.  That's cool.

-aps