 Robotics / 25549
Re: MDP Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:06:32 GMT

On Fri, February 10, 2006 2:51 am, Allan Johansen wrote:
"Steve Hassenplug" <steve@teamhassenplug.org> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

We did give them a big list of suggestions (many people from LUGNET and
such),
but they also want "fresh blood".  So, who knows.

Steve

I must admit that I'm very disappointed to hear that such a list exist. Why
should one group of people, who just so happens to be part of a particular
newsgroup, have an advantage over people who are not members?

This is not just wrong, this is blatant cheating and favouritism.!

It's totally possible, there's someone out there that builds much better robots
than I do, and would have been a much better MUP than I am, but they've never
posted anything on the internet.  However, because I'm part of a particular
newsgroup, I have an advantage over people who are not members.  So I was
selected.  Sorry, that's how it is.

I don't exactly see how it's "cheating".  I just happen to be part of this
community.

If you had a thousand names, and you had to pick one hundred of them, how would
you do it?  Do you randomly select one of every ten?  You're clearly going to
omit some of the more qualified people.  Even a long questionare is only going
to tell you so much.

So, how do you pick them?

We recommended a list of very qualified people from around the world to help
take the MDP to the next level.  To me, building the MDP is about building a
foundation for the community.  I think a good way to do that is to select people
from the community.  Of course, you want to add as many "other" people as
possible to fill out the list.

It's easy to say this is wrong, and unfair, but how would you do it?

Steve