 Robotics / 25569
Re: MDP Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:03:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Allan Johansen wrote:

And that's why I am felling somewhat disappointed right now. TLG told me
that applicants would be chosen from those who answered the questionnaire.
They never said anything about having to go to Lugnet... it's not the
only place.

   Actually, I doubt LUGNET is the only place LEGO looks for talent, or that
it's the only place that Steve might have suggested folks from. It *is* where
Steve spends a lot of on-line hours, but there are four other MUPs in the
original group (and more in the "round two" MUP, right?).

The applicants should be chosen based on their
answers to the questionnaire

   My personal guess? The applicants will be chosen based on what somebody(s) at
LEGO thinks will work best for LEGO - no more, no less. Since those are the
folks that designed the questionnaire, I strongly suspect they wrote it with an
eye towards using it. And likewise, they probably trust the MUPs judgement on
some of these matters... not nepotism, but judgement.

If you think that the participants should be chosen based on
their reputation...

   I prefer thinking of it as being chosen based on your abilities - but that's
what you get a reputation for, right?

But I'll maintain that it is, at the very least,
favouritism towards Lugnet users.

   I've managed to tick off a lot of people with a very simple statement at
times: You should discriminate, but always discriminate on the grounds of
ability. If LEGO is equating "ability" with "number of posts on LUGNET", then I
think you have a very valid point. But I seen no evidence for that. Heck, take a
look at Jake's blog to see how many places he watches, and ask yourself if LEGO
thinks that LUGNET is the sole planet in the Mindstorms universe.

--
Brian Davis