 Robotics / 25475
Re: Why [no single language] is good for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:23:08 GMT

On Wed, January 25, 2006 4:49 pm, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
However, I don't
agree that either LEGO's RIS software or RoboLab is unstable.

Did you use RIS 1.0 and RoboLab 1.0?  Did you ever try to use events in RoboLab?
Here are links to the bugs fixed in service packs just since version 2.5 was
released.

http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/robolabatceeo/downloads/Service_Pack/servicepack1bugs.asp

http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/robolabatceeo/downloads/Service_Pack/pack12bugs.asp

http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/robolabatceeo/Downloads/Service_Pack/RL254_CPatch.asp

Could be worse:

Version 3.3.7.10 (2005-10-05)
Version 3.3.7.7
Version 3.3.7.6 (2003-10-27)
Version 3.3.7.5 (2003-05-22)
Version 3.3.7.4 (2003-03-24)
Version 3.3.7.3 (2003-03-07)
Version 3.3.7.2 (2003-02-12)
Version 3.3.7.1 (2003-01-16)
Version 3.3.6.6 (2002-11-25)
Version 3.3.6.5 (2002-11-19)
Version 3.3.6.2 (2002-08-02)
Version 3.3.5.7
Version 3.3.5.6 (2002-07-12)
Version 3.3.4.5 (2002-04-09)
Version 3.3.4.4 (2002-03-19)
Version 3.3.4.2
Version 3.3.3.9 (2002-02-25)
Version 3.3.3.8 (2002-02-15)
Version 3.3.3.7 (2002-02-06) (This version was never actually released.)
Version 3.3.3.5
Version 3.3.3.4
Version 3.3.3.2 (2002-01-05)
Version 3.3.3.1 (2002-01-03)
Version 3.3.2.13 (2001-12-03)
Version 3.3.2.12 (2001-11-28)
Version 3.3.2.11 (2001-11-27)
Version 3.3.2.9
Version 3.3.2.8 (2001-11-15)
Version 3.3.2.2
Version 3.3.1.9 (2001-10-10)
Version 3.3.1.7 (2001-10-5)
Version 3.3.1.6 (2001-9-29)
Version 3.3.1.4 (2001-9-29)
Version 3.3.0.12 (2001-9-29)
Version 3.3.0.10 (2001-9-28)
Version 3.2.9.7
Version 3.2.9.6 (2001-5-22)
Version 3.2.9.4 (2001-5-21)
Version 3.2.9.0 (2001-5-20)
Version 3.2.8.2
Version 3.2.7.3
Version 3.2.7.2

These numbers brought to you by Bricxcc...
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/bricxcc_history.htm

The latter is far more beneficial to a child's learning experience than the
former.

I really want to agree here.  But I can't.  I'd have to ask exactly what this
child is trying to learn.

I think it is obvious that the child (or adult) is trying to learn how to write
programs which make their robot do what they want it to do,

I don't think that's correct.  A couple years ago, I went back to college.  Not
because I wanted to learn economics, but because I wanted a degree.  In order to
get my degree, I had to pass an economics class.  So I did.

Just because someone wants to build robots, it should NOT be assumed that they
want to learn to program.  Knowing how to program is NOT required for building
robots.

If they can't figure out how to make
the robot work because the tool is unintelligible, slow, unstable, and buggy
then they will quickly move on to something else (or, as is far more likely, to
an easy to learn and use text-based language and the IDEs which support it).

It may be easier for some people to learn a text-based language, but not
everyone.

If there WAS any type of language that was "best" we wouldn't be having this
discussion.

Steve