 Robotics / 25457
Re: Why java is (not) bad for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:33:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
On Mon, January 23, 2006 5:37 am, PeterBalch wrote:
Why couldn't the original RIS language interface have had a button to press
which converted your program to a textual form like a conventional
language? And this textual language had all the extra goodies that hackers
want?

TLG must provide software (firmware) that's "Bullet-Proof" for kids. (most of their
users)

I prefer a faster version of the firmware, which is why I use BrickOS.

These appear mutually exclusive.  Is that different from what you're talking about?

I disagree.  The original software produced by LEGO was definitely far from
"bullet-proof".  Robolab is extremely far from "bullet-proof".  It is a mind-set
and nothing more which says that kids need the simplicity and hand-holding that
a graphical programming environment provides.  First off, they don't.  And
secondly, neither RIS or Robolab is particularly simple, easy to learn, easy to
use, or very good at holding hands.  Hopefully, the NXT software will prove to
be a very different beast but I'm not holding my breath based on my fairly
in-depth experience with RIS, Robolab, and LabView.

Contrast learning to program using an unstable and buggy graphical environment
with learning to program using a full-featured text-based integrated development
environment with extensive learning aids, such as tutorials, sample programs,
context-sensitive help, code insight, syntax highlighting, code completion,
print preview, macro support, and many powerful debugging features.  There is
simply no comparison.

The latter is far more beneficial to a child's learning experience than the
former.  And with the former you get inefficient bloated programs while with the
latter you get highly-optimal programs that execute circles around the ones
written using the former.  And at the same time when you take the latter
approach you get a smooth, easy to follow migration path to even more
programming power via alternate firmwares and the various languages available
for them.

John Hansen