 Robotics / 25474
Re: Why [no single language] is good for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:27:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:
Linux isn't a language.  It's an operating system.  And nobody I know uses Linux
without a graphical user interface.  And nobody I know programs in text-based
languages at a OS command prompt using VI.  Do people write posts to Lugnet by
dragging and dropping icons representing letters and numbers into a graphical
editor?  No they don't.  They do use a graphical user interface (a web browser)
to type in the text they wish to post.  A full-featured integrated development
environment for text-based languages is a GUI - not a command prompt.

But, if you were going to make a single system for everyone, make it graphic.

All the IDEs I know of for programming LEGO bricks are graphical user
interfaces.  I would wager that most (if not 100% of) NQC, brickOS, and leJOS
users on Linux use a graphical text editor (with windows and a mouse pointer) to
write their programs.

Hey!  I use Linux every day and I don't use X as a GUI.  And I program 8 hours a
day all within vi.

I will admit that I may not be the typical mindstorms programmer.  In the end it
really comes down to what folks are most comfortable with.  In my case, I am
most effective when using vi.  Other folks are used to different types of
editors.  Hey!!! That give me a great idea/request.  Added vi key bindings to
BricxCC!  OK, that's probably not a feature everyone else wants.

I do think that graphical interfaces are the best choice if the goal is to
include as many people as you can.

-Tim