 Robotics / 25436
Re: Why java is (not) bad for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Alexander Sack wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
On Mon, January 23, 2006 5:37 am, PeterBalch wrote:

Kev

My guess is that it is not possible for the official language can be everything
to eveyone.

Why not?

Why couldn't the original RIS language interface have had a button to press
which converted your program to a textual form like a conventional
language? And this textual language had all the extra goodies that hackers
want?

TLG must provide software (firmware) that's "Bullet-Proof" for kids. (most of their
users)

I prefer a faster version of the firmware, which is why I use BrickOS.

These appear mutually exclusive.  Is that different from what you're talking about?

Steve

One possibility would be to have a compiler that compiles NXT graphical code
into ARM code, or NXT executable into ARM code (kind of like a Java just in time
compiler).  This would bypass the interpreter of the firmware and potentially
give you a great performance boost (probably at a cost of space).

What is the output of the NXT graphical programming environment?  I mean the NXT
could already have a JIT type execution environment already whereby the
graphical IDE generates pseudo-code ("bytecode") and the firmware on the NXT
does the dynamic translation on the fly.  I don't know, but the above *seems*
reasonable to me.  Moreover, future versions of the NXT compiler within the
graphical IDE would be compatible with any platform changes (new JIT firmware).

I don't know the format of the output of the graphical programming environment.

The concept of a JIT compiler seems good to me.  Dunno where it should exist. on
the NXT or on the PC?

Right?

Could be.

I wonder if the specs for the firmware and/or feature set will be open (i.e.
Lego will publish complete/specs, etc. during its release).

I sure hope so.

-aps

Kev