 Robotics / 25447
25446  |  25448
Subject:
NXT + BlueTooth + PC (was: Java Baad)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:03:20 GMT

Ditto to pretty much everything on this thread.  My present robot has a PC
running Linux talking to an RCX over IR, using my own (not XML!!) message
protocol.  For a look at how this can play out, check out what these guys
did with some NSA money:

www.pyrorobotics.org

pyro in turn was based on the Player/Stage interface:
http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/

all of this stuff assumes a nice big PC as the brain, and a smaller embedded
type controller as the "spinal cord" of the system.  BTW it's all free and
open-source, so we could use it right away.  They have every imaginable
mapping, navigation, and AI strategy already coded up as part of their
curriculum.  2D and 3D simulation as well (I've hacked up their simulator to
look like my robot.)

All you would need to hook into this world is a 'player' control interface
on NXT.  I doubt you can do it in LabView, but you can probably hack it in
the underlying bytecode language.

If I'm one of the chosen, this is definitely what I'll be working on.

-dan

--- Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:

-- pisymbol <pisymbol@gmail.com> wrote:

[SNIP}
Maybe this is all crazy, I'm not sure, but it seems
with Bluetooth, passing
along the logic via messages to a more powerful host
makes a lot of sense to
me... (provided the messages are easy to consume and
produce, obviously trying
to parse XML on the tiny NXT may be a bad idea).

-aps

If I'm chosen as the one of the 100, this is what I
will work on, using and abusing the BT communications
on the NXT.