 Robotics / 25476
Re: What I would do (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:37:23 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Alexander Sack wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
On Mon, January 16, 2006 8:27 pm, pisymbol wrote:
- getting a RTOS up an running (whether that be uCOS-II or Redboot/eCOS)

What is RTOS, uCOS, and Redboot/eCOS?

RTOS - Real-time Operating System

uCOS-II (MicroCos-II) which is a RTOS implementation that has been ported to
many platforms including the ARM7

http://www.micrium.com/products/rtos/kernel/rtos.html

Steve,

uCOS-II is essentially the brickOS replacement.  With the move from the 8 bit
Hitachi processor to an 32 bit ARM7 processor, one would need to rewrite brickOS
kernel for the ARM7 processor.  But why reinvent the wheel when there is already
several really good real-time operating systems for the ARM, including uCOS-II?

I haven't looked at the brickOS code in about two years but my guess is that
most of the real I/O code (i.e. motor control, sensor reading) was not that
specific to either the kernel or the hitachi processer (except of course for the
8 bit data size).  So all the "peripheral" code could easily be ported.

Ed