 Robotics / 25487
Re: What I would do (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 04:49:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ed Manlove wrote:
I would really like to point out (to the general audience) what I see as a real
effort on The Lego Group's part to make the out of the box software experience a
real positive one.  I see a lot of talk about the various user created software
programs but would ask everyone to re-adjust your thinking (or pre-judgment) on
the NXT Software.  It sounds like they have listened well are the NXT Software
will provide more control and flexibility then the RCX software. So, Tim, I
would add one more language to your toolset, that being the NXT Software.

I'll add it to my tool belt if it'll run on Linux ;)

I certainly don't mean to slight the NXT software (I haven't even played with it
yet).  I assume it will be quite capable.

I am not interested nor do I have time to get into language wars.

Indeed.  Programming languages are simply tools.  They should be choosen based
the task at hand, the language strengths, and the programmer's skills/knowledge.
And since those factors change from project to project, there is no "best
language".

The only reason I left out the NXT software from my wishlist automatically was
because it probably won't fit in well with the environment I personaly am most
comfortable programming in.  For other people it will fit quite well.

My assumption might be wrong, but I'm guessing that the new NXT software will
not be backwards compatible for programming the RCX.  So this is really where I
see the possibility of NQC and BrickOS having a huge strength (for those of us
who already own multiple RCX bricks).

-Tim