 Robotics / 25501
Re: What I would do (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:54:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tim Byrne wrote:
Hopefully I can keep the number of Mindstorms languages I need to be proficient
with down to 2 regardless of what brick I am using.  NQC when the standard
firmware is enough, and BrickOS when more flexibility is needed.

I like this concept, but what if in the case of NQC the new firmware turns out
to be such a radically different design that it makes it extremely difficult, if
not impossible, to carry over very much of the rather large API built into NQC
to the new brick.

Would you prefer that NQC work miracles (at the expense of performance) to keep
the NXT API as much as possible directly compatible with the RCX2 API or would
you prefer that NQC work as close to the metal as possible at the expense of API
compatibility?  By "work miracles" I mean something along the lines of "generate
lots of extra code behind the scenes as needed, including such things as hidden
tasks and subroutines which act as helpers to the NXT version of the NQC API".

I'm not saying that this will turn out to be the case, but it could.  And in the
unlikely event that it does I am seeking NQC user feedback.  Which is more
important: API compatibility or Performance?

John Hansen