 Robotics / 25503
Re: What I would do (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:

Would you prefer that NQC work miracles (at the expense of performance) to keep
the NXT API as much as possible directly compatible with the RCX2 API or would
you prefer that NQC work as close to the metal as possible at the expense of API
compatibility?  By "work miracles" I mean something along the lines of "generate
lots of extra code behind the scenes as needed, including such things as hidden
tasks and subroutines which act as helpers to the NXT version of the NQC API".

I'm not saying that this will turn out to be the case, but it could.  And in the
unlikely event that it does I am seeking NQC user feedback.  Which is more
important: API compatibility or Performance?

The optimum solution would be both - provide a new API that gets the most out of
the new firmware, but an optional "compatability layer" that adds what is
necessary to provide an API compatable with the RCX. Note that I'd vote to get
the new API done first :)

ROSCO