 Robotics / 25485
Re: What I would do (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:03:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ed Manlove wrote:
Rereading the Wired article I would rethink the portability of the motor/sensor
code (2 wire vs. 6 wire connectors).  But what you get with UCOS-II is
essentially what is described in Sections 1-2 of "Introduction to the legOS
kernel" [Stig Nielsson, Sept. 27, 2000,
http://legos.sourceforge.net/docs/kerneldoc.ps] or two thirds of a NXT RTOS.
All that is left is writing the motor/sensor code (and the firmware downloader,
Bluetooth code, sample applications, documentation, etc.)  But this remaining
third is the fairly simple given information about the hardware is known.

Ed

I would be in favor of having a port of BrickOS for NXT (instead of having
another thing to learn).  I'm not gonna throw away my RCXs and I would prefer
having similar languages for both bricks.  Yes programmers would need to know
the nuances when programming for a particular target, but people successfully
manage that with NQC (there are certain things supported depending on the
target:RCX/Scout/Spybotics/CM/etc.)

Hopefully I can keep the number of Mindstorms languages I need to be proficient
with down to 2 regardless of what brick I am using.  NQC when the standard
firmware is enough, and BrickOS when more flexibility is needed.